Afcon 2023: Ziyech Fires Morocco To 1-0 Win And Top Of Group F As Zambia Go Residence

Wedson Nyirenda almost qualified us to the World Cup after we misplaced narrowly in Nigeria. It was Wedson Nyirenda, so we had a group already and we have a great team,” Siwale stated. This yr has been no completely different, with their two opening games ending in 1-1 draws in opposition to DR Congo and Tanzania.

Zambia’s chances AFCONfree bets Zambia

Ibrahim Sangare had a shot from the edge of the box fly inches over whereas substitute Max Gradel saw his properly weighted freekick tipped over the bar. Earlier on Sunday, Morocco and the Democratic Republic of Congo also drew 1-1, leaving all 4 teams with an opportunity of qualifying for the knockout stage. The Opta supercomputer makes Zambia the favourites for this tie, giving them a 45.8% of taking all three points. Tanzania are given a 28.9% likelihood of causing an upset, while the draw is an outside shout at 25.3%. The knowledge doesn’t counsel we’ll get lots of goals – these are the two teams who had the fewest shots on MD 1 in any case – but maybe each side will be succesful of minimize loose slightly extra against weaker opposition. The model thinks there is a seventy nine.7% chance the Atlas Lions top their group, while it gives Zambia a 40.8% likelihood of qualifying for the knockout stage.

Lungu’s Full Handle: Zambia Information 12 Covid-19 Circumstances As Lock Down Looms

SOCCER administrator Blackwell Siwale says Chipolopolo woes within the AfCON qualifiers will continue as the postponement of the tournament to 2022 will favour those who have made features. Didier Drogba confirmed nerves of metal to disregard his previous miss with sudden dying looming, and Mweene himself ensured the shootout headed previous the primary 10 attempts with a cool finish of his personal. At the other end, Kennedy Mweene was unbeatable, and commanded his area properly, relieving a lot of strain for his facet as Ivory Coast increasingly used high balls into the field to try to break the deadlock.

The Copper Bullets had solely overwhelmed Morocco once in their last six makes an attempt they usually struggled once once more in the first half, taking on 30 minutes to have a shot on target by way of Emmanuel Banda from vary. Meanwhile, Zambia who drew 1-1 with DR Congo will fancy their chances towards the Taifa Stars as they purpose to end a winless run within the Afcon since 2012 when they received the title. This leaves the East African aspect without a head coach ahead of this clash and the suspension of Amrouche came with a $ 10,000 fine for the federation. In the aftermath, their coach Adel Amrouche was suspended for eight matches by CAF for his anti-Morocco comments which prompted the TFF to sack him. Both sides had been in a must win state of affairs, nevertheless it was CAR who had their hearts damaged at house in their quest for a first ever qualification to the match. The second caution got here after Kabwe elbowed rival captain Mbwana Samatta, and the Zambian protested furiously for several minutes before leaving the pitch.

  • Kialonga had given Angola a 12th minute lead, however Kondogbia drew his facet degree only a minute after the restart, finishing off a move from Karl Namnganda who had simply come on.
  • This leaves the East African facet with no head coach ahead of this conflict and the suspension of Amrouche got here with a $ 10,000 fine for the federation.
  • The Austria-based striker mentioned this as Zambia host already certified Algeria on Thursday evening with the Chipolopolo hoping to revive their marketing campaign.
  • Tanzania are the one staff from the Council of East and Central Africa Football Associations (CECAFA) that certified for the AFCON 2023. [newline]Tanzania’s journey on the ongoing TotalEnergies Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2023 got here to an finish on Thursday night time after the Taifa Stars did not qualify for the knockout stage.

While the Black Stars had been clear favourites on paper, the precise fact they had been pushed to extra time in their quarter-final in opposition to Tunisia gave Renard’s side the upper hand on the pitch. After a profitable membership career that saw him win two Eredivisie titles with PSV, the attacker continued to play for his nation, becoming their player-coach and even scored a profitable aim as a substitute towards Liberia in 2004 on the age of 41. Zambia’s star striker Patson Daka says the Chipolopolo have 100% probabilities of qualifying for the 2021 AFCON finals.

Away form is a worry for Zambia and that needs to be improved on if they are to do nicely in this tournament. “Our first sport was in opposition to Senegal and the staff was on its approach to Senegal for a match when the aircraft crashed. After the first seven gamers from both sides converted their spot-kicks, each Kolo Toure and Rainford Kalaba fell brief from the spot. Gervinho, who was with Arsenal on the time, then skied his effort to hand younger Zambian defender Stoppila Sunzu the possibility at glory. Any lingering lack of faith in Zambia’s marketing campaign was then squashed within the quarter-finals as they swept previous Sudan 3-0 to e-book a semi-final date with West Africa heavyweights Ghana.

Match Preview

” Morocco is an enormous and difficult team, it is considered one of the best teams in Africa and the world at the moment, so we respect them however that does not cease us from going to battle them. One thing that brought us here is Tanzania to win this championship, ” added the skilled forward who featured for English Premier League facet Aston Villa few years in the past. Tanzania will next face Zambia on January21st, and wind up with the last Group J match on January 24th in opposition to the Democratic Republic of Congo. Tanzania are the one group that certified from the Council of East and Central Africa Football Associations (CECAFA) to play on the AFCON 2023.

Improvement Soccer

Fans eagerly anticipate Zambia’s soccer prowess, hopeful for an additional memorable AFCON marketing campaign as they set their sights on continental glory. Zambia’s AFCON historical past is rich, highlighted by their remarkable debut in 1974, reaching the final solely to lose to Congo in a replay after a 2-2 draw. The breakthrough got here in 2012 with a thrilling marketing campaign, triumphing against powerhouses like Ghana and Ivory Coast to say their first AFCON title.

Zambia’s talisman, Chris Katongo, even had the most effective likelihood in additional time, however Barry one method or the other poked his shot onto the post with a outstanding save, and Ivory Coast survived. Despite that turbulence – and the fact they’d received simply 4 of their final 19 video games at the Africa Cup of Nations – Zambia started the match with a 2-1 win over Senegal. Renard’s facet then twice came from behind to salvage a 2-2 draw with Libya earlier than claiming a narrow 1-0 win over Equatorial Guinea to secure top spot in Group A. “We have 100 percent probability to qualify, we now have two video games to play, and we’d like victories in both matches and that is what we wish to obtain. We know that it is a di or die game,” Daka advised Football Association of Zambia web site. ” The group has prepared properly and we are waiting for the final day of preparations to see the ultimate readiness before the match in opposition to Morocco.

They had to come from a aim down, their celebrity skipper Geoffrey Kondogbia equalizing in the second half after Gaspar Kialonga had given Angola an early lead. They additionally had to finish the match with 10 men after goalkeeper Dominique Junior Youfeigane was sent off in the 70th minute. They went to the break with a single objective lead, and on the steadiness of chances, should have had extra.

They were instantly afforded one other chance to win when Gervinho shot high and extensive, and this time they made no mistake, with Sunzu scoring the winner to spark wild celebrations in Gabon, and again residence in Zambia. However, following a match dominated by excellent defending from each side, the brutal actuality of a penalty shootout loomed over the 2 teams. Bwalya had additionally made the daring choice to reinstate Frenchman Herve Renard as coach heading into the tournament with the former Cannes defender leaving the identical position only two years prior. Now, within the 2023 version, facing DR Congo, Morocco, and Tanzania in a formidable group, Chipolopolo aims to showcase their historic resilience.

The 2012 champions are making a return to the match for the primary time since 2015 after missing the last three editions. Zambian pressure finally paid off by way of Daka, whose powerful near-post header from a nook gave Manula no chance. Daka, the most high-profile Zambian having performed within the Premier League with Leicester City, burst towards aim just past the hour mark and forced a great save from Aisha Manula.

While Ivory Coast did have a number of chances to break the impasse, the ball seemed to be bouncing Zambia’s method on the night, and after a hundred and twenty minutes of goalless action, the final headed to penalties. A late objective from Emmanuel Mayuka, who would end the match as high scorer, sealed Zambia a 1-0 win and a date with destiny that was 19 years in the making. The last was to be hosted in Gabon, the nation where the Chipolopolo’s aircraft crashed in 1993, with Bwalya finally given the possibility to honour his former team-mates in essentially the most fitting fashion. He has scored 20 objectives in 18 league matches within the Austrian champions, Red Bull Salzburg and hopes to duplicate that form for country.



Comments are closed

Acerca de este sitio

Este puede ser un buen lugar para presentarte a ti mismo y a tu sitio o para incluir algunas acreditaciones.


Calle Principal, 123
Madrid, 28000

Lunes a viernes: de 9:00 a 17:00 h.
Sábado y domingo: de 11:00 a 15:00 h.